Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable!

carbon monoxide poisoningPrevent carbon monoxide poisoning by following some simple guidelines.

#1. Check (or have a professional check) that your appliances are installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions and local codes. If you did not have your appliances installed by professionals, then do you know who did the installation and if it is correct?

#2. Make sure the heating system is inspected annually to ensure everything is safe. The inspector should check any chimneys and flues for flow, any corrosion, and anything loose and make repairs accordingly.

#3. Always find a professional to repair any fuel-burning appliances.

#4. Make sure to always operate portable generators or other combustible engines with plenty of ventilation and never in enclosed spaces. Even open windows in garages might not be sufficient to clear out the CO.

#5. Installation of carbon monoxide alarms in correct places can help give advance notice of dangerous levels of CO.

#6. Do not use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside anywhere unless it is specifically designed for use in an enclosed space.

#7. Burning charcoal inside a tent, home or anywhere else is a good way to get carbon monoxide poisoning!

#8. Never leave a car running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open.

#9. Even if the power should go out, do not try to use gas appliances such as ranges, ovens, or clothes dryers to heat your home.

#10. Never operate unvented fuel-burning appliances in any room where people are sleeping.

#11. Make sure that no tarps or debris cover any vents, chimneys or flues during any construction.

Even though all these suggestions might make complete sense and seem silly now, all these and many more have led to carbon monoxide poisoning deaths.

What to do when carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected?

First – get to outside fresh air immediately! Do not return to your home until it has been cleared of gas. Remember – you cannot see, smell or taste CO gas!

Polar Heating and Refrigeration has been testing for carbon monoxide for 40 years and can be of great benefit to making sure your home is safe from all carbon monoxide poisoning.